Black Cat Cabaret Playwriting Contest 2021
This year is our crazy eighth season so we are inviting playwrights from across Canada to come out and play.
Have a play idea? Check out these rules and submit with your $10 to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 31 at 11:59pm.
New Vintage Theatre’s Annual Black Cat 10 Minute Play Contest is back.
$500 Cash Prize
2021 Contest Details & Rules – August 31 at 11:59pm
Deadline-October 31 at 11:59pm
- Open to all Canadian writers. BIPOC and Interior BC artists are encouraged to submit. Entry fee of $10 must accompany script submission as an etransfer to email@example.com.
- Cover page should include name, address, email and if they are a member of a BIPOC and/or a permanent resident of an Interior BC community.
- No identifying name, address or contact information should be found on the play itself to help with impartial judging.
- Entries should be the author’s original writing, not previously performed and must be approx. 10 minutes. Shorter than 8 minutes or longer than 12 minutes will not be considered.
- Writers are encouraged to consider simple, cabaret type staging.
- Six finalists will be selected to go into production for our 2021 Black Cat Cabaret. Plays will be judged blind by six local emerging New Vintage Theatre directors. Directors who are judging will not be allowed to submit a play the year they direct.
- Two spots will be reserved for BIPOC artists, two for Interior BC artists and the remaining two for any artists from across Canada. Should this compliment of plays not be submitted, judges will select scenes from notable artists of these identified groups and include them in the event as readings, with fees paid to the showcased playwrights or playwright’s estates. If this happens these scenes however, will not be included in the competition.
- Winning play will be selected by voting by paid audience members, online and live on the last evening of the event. Should a tie happen, the prize will be split equally between the winning playwrights. Money will be awarded by cheque or etransfer the evening following the event.
- Winning playwrights will also win a kitschy trophy and inclusion in New Vintage Theatre history. Trophy can be picked up in person or mailed.For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org